Table of Contents
SSB: Service Selection Board
In Army, SSB stands for Service Selection Board. It is an organization that assesses the candidates for becoming officers into the Indian Armed Forces (i.e. Army, Air Force and Navy). SSB is created by the Defense Ministry of India to conduct the interview for recruiting officers in Indian soldiers. It is designed to test “officer like qualities” in the candidates.
An Service Selection Board (SSB) board comprises assessors who are officials in the Indian Armed Forces and have their specialization as Psychologist, Group Task Officer(GTO) and Interviewing Officer. Altogether, there are thirteen Services Selection Boards across India, out of which four seats are for Indian Army, four seats are for Indian Air Force and five seats for Indian Navy. SSB is a 5 to 6 days assessment process. Successful candidates will remain for an intensive medical examination which takes four to five days at a military hospital.
Eligibility for SSB
- For SSB recruitment, candidate age should lie between 18 – 40 years.
- Matriculation (10th Pass) or equivalent from a recognized board or institute.
- Female candidate shouldn’t be married or issueless widow.
- The candidate must clear the Combined Defense Services Examination conducted by UPSC.
- Candidated should clear PST and PET.
SSB: Sashastra Seema Bal
In Police, SSB stands for Sashastra Seema Bal. It is one of the Central Armed Police Forces of India. It is currently under the administrative control of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Government of India. Till to 2001, this force was known as the Special Service Bureau. The primary task of the force was to provide armed support to the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). Mr. Kumar Rajesh Chandra is the current (As of 2021) Director General of SSB and its headquarter is located in New Delhi.
The Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) was established after the Sino-Indian War as early as 20 December 1963. Its primary purpose was to counter an act of aggression by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA). SSB played important role in Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 as well as during the Kargil War. In 2014, the government of India approved the recruitment of women as combat officers in SSB.
Duties of SSB
- Safeguarding the borders of India and promote sense of security among the people living in border areas.
- Prevent trans-border crimes, smuggling and any other illegal activities.
- Prevent unauthorized entry into or exit from the territory of India.
- Carry out civic action program in the area of responsibility.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Central Government like maintaining Law & Order, Counter Insurgency Operations and Election duty.
Other Full Forms of SSB
|Single Side Band||Communication|
|Census & Statistics|
|Super Smash Brothers||Sports|
|Star Spangled Banner||Universities|
|Sapporo School of Business||Universities|
|Since Sliced Bread||Chat|
|Securities Supervisory Board||Business|
|Scramble Status Byte||Assembly|
|Simple Site Builder||Software|
|Spirit, Soul, and Body||Religion|
|Single Strand Boxer||Clothing|
|Steering Stem Bearing||Transportation|
|St. Croix Sea Plane Base, Virgin Islands||Airport Codes|
|Single Shot Bolt||Military|
|Super Smash Bowl||Sports|
|Sugar sweetened beverages||Physiology|
|Self Service Banner||General|
|Salvo Squeeze Bore||Unclassified|
|Sashastra Seema Bal||General|
|Sekolo sa Borokgo||General|
|Service Selection Board||General|
|Scandinavian School of Brussels||Schools|
|Strategic Solutions for Business||Business|
|Student Services Building||Students|