HIV: Human Immunodeficiency Virus
The full form of HIV is Human Immunodeficiency Virus. HIV is a deadly virus that causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), an advanced stage of HIV infection. It is a non-curable disease. Following initial infection, a person may not notice any symptoms or may experience a brief period of influenza-like illness. This virus affects the human immune system and makes it very weak and thus it becomes susceptible to common diseases like influenza, cough, asthma etc.
Causes of HIV Infection
HIV is a retrovirus that has two types: HIV-1 and HIV-2. Both types can infect you through HIV-infected body fluids such as blood, semen, and genital secretions. Some common causes of HIV infection are:
- HIV is mainly spread by unprotected sex (including anal and oral sex).
- By infected blood transfusion
- If you have HIV positive person with drug needles shared.
- Through a donated organ received from an infected donor.
- From mother to child during pregnancy, delivery or breastfeeding.
In 2018 about 37.9 million people were living with HIV and it resulted in 770,000 deaths. Most of the infected people live in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS was identified in the early 1980s, causing an estimated 35 million deaths worldwide due to the disease. HIV/AIDS is considered a pandemic (such as COVID-19) —a disease outbreak that is present over a large area and is actively spreading. AIDS was first recognized in the USA by CDC in 1981.
Prevention of HIV Infection
- Do not share personal items such as razors, toothbrushes, etc.
- Do not share needles and syringes with anyone.
- Practice safe sex such as using condoms If you are not sure that you or your partner is not infected with HIV.
- Do not have sex with more than one partner.
Symptoms of HIV Infection
Symptoms of HIV infection usually appear after a long time. Some common symptoms that HIV-infected people experience are:
- Head ache
- Muscle aches
- Joint pain
- Sore throat
- Skin rash
- Swollen glands
South and Southeast Asia are the second most affected by HIV; In 2010, there were an estimated 4 million cases in the region and about 2,50,000 deaths that are 12% of all people living with HIV. Of these, about 2.4 million cases were in India.
Other full forms of HIV
- High Interest Vessel
- Hair Is Vanishing
- Hope Is Vital
- Here In Venezuela
- He Ignores Virgina
- Helium Isolation Valve