Table of Contents
CSE: Civil Services Examination
The full form of CSE in UPSC exam is Civil Services Examination. It is a nationwide competitive examination in India conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for recruitment to the various civil services of the Government of India such as Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), and Indian Police Service (IPS).
It is conducted in three phases – a preliminary examination consisting of two objective type papers (General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II also known as Civil Services Aptitude Test or CSAT), and a main exam consisting of nine papers in the traditional essay type, with two qualifying papers and only seven Marks are counted after the personality test.
Qualification for CSE Exam
The eligibility for the exam is as follows:
- For Indian Administrative Service and Indian Police Service, the candidate must be a citizen of India.
- For other services, the candidate must be one of the following:
- Citizen of India
- Citizen of Nepal
- A Tibetan refugee who settled permanently in India before January 1, 1962.
- A person of Indian origin person who has migrated from Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
All candidates must possess as a minimum one of the following educational qualifications:
- Degree from a Central, State or Deemed University
- A degree obtained through distance learning
- A degree from an Open University
- A qualification recognized by the Government of India as equivalent to one of the above
The following candidates are also eligible but they have to produce the proof of eligibility from the competent authority in their Institute/University at the time of Main Examination, failing which they will not be allowed to appear in the examination.
- Candidates who have appeared in an examination, the passing of which will qualify them as educationally qualified to satisfy one of the above points.
- Candidates who have passed
- MBBS degree final examination but not completed internship yet.
- Degree from a private university.
- Degree from any foreign university recognized by Association of Indian Universities .
- The minimum age for general category is 21 years and maximum age is 32 years.
- OBC Minimum age is 21 and maximum age is 35 years.
- SC/ST Minimum age is 21 and maximum age is 37 years.
- Personnel disabled in operations during hostilities for the Defense Services, the maximum limit is 40 years.
Number of attempts
The number of times a candidate can appear for the examination is given below:
- General Category Candidates = 6
- OBC Category Candidates = 9
- SC / ST Candidates = Unlimited Attempts up to 32 Years of Age
Appeals to attempt one paper in the Preliminary Examination are counted as one attempt, which will involve disqualification/cancellation of the candidature. However, applying to appear for the examination but failing to appear does not count as an attempt.
UPSC CSE Exam Syllabus
- Preliminary stage has two papers.
- 1. General studies (objective)
- 2. C.S.A.T. (objective)
- Mains Stage has 9 Papers (all Subjective).
- 3. Compulsory [English]
- 4. Indian Language
- 5. General Studies-I
- 6. General Studies-II
- 7. General Studies-III
- 8. General Studies-IV
- 9. Optional Paper-I
- 10. Optional Paper-II
- 11. Essay
- Personal Interview is Third and Last stage.
Other full forms of CSE
|Computer Science and Engineering||Courses|
|Colombo Stock Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Canadian Securities Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Computational Science and Engineering||General Computing|
|Control Systems Engineering||Engineering|
|Consejo Supremo Electoral|
[Supreme Electoral Council]
|Departments & Agencies|
|Centre for Science and Environment||Regional Organizations|
|Comprehensive Sex Education||Courses|
|Child Sexual Exploitation||Law & Legal|
|Council of Science Editors||Professional Associations|
|Cyprus Stock Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Chittagong Stock Exchange||Computer Science and Engineering|
|Certificate of Secondary Education||Courses|
|College of Saint Elizabeth||Universities & Institutions|
|Calcutta Stock Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Casablanca Stock Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Copenhagen Stock Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Communications Security Establishment||Military|
|Citizens for a Sound Economy||Regional Organizations|
|Combined Spinal and Epidural||Treatments & Procedures|
|Common Subexpression Elimination||General Computing|
|Comparison Shopping Engine||Internet|
|CircumStellar Envelope||Astronomy & Space Science|
|Clube Sociedade Esportiva|
[Sports Society Club]
|Chalmers School of Entrepreneurship||Universities & Institutions|
|Cochin Stock Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Combined Services Entertainment||Military|
|Center for Sustainable Enterprise||Research & Development|
|Conference of Socialist Economists||Regional Organizations|
|Chronic Solvent-induced Encephalopathy||Diseases & Conditions|
|Compañía Sevillana de Electricidad|
[Sevillana Electricity Company]
|Companies & Corporations|
|Corpus Speculorum Etruscorum||History & Geography|
|Czech Sign Language||Language Codes|
|Crime Scene Examiner||Police|
|Collège du Saint Esprit|
[College of the Holy Spirit]
|Universities & Institutions|
|Child Support Enforcement||Law & Legal|
|Office of Child Support Enforcement||US Government|
|Computer Science Education||Universities|
|Creation Science Evangelism||Religion|
|Cincinnati Stock Exchange||Stock Exchange|
|Cuerpos de Seguridad del Estado||Spanish|
|College Success Experience||Colleges|
|Creative Sports Enterprises||Companies & Firms|
|Common Sense Exam||Oncology|
|Communication Skills Enrichment||Educational|
|Corn Starch Emitter||Food & Nutrition|
|Clustered System Environment||Networking|
|Connected Series of Events||Law & Legal|